Cooperation in the cultural and humanitarian sphere
Cooperation in the cultural and humanitarian sphere is carried out in the following main directions: culture, education, strengthening ties with Ukrainians in the Republic of Moldova, including Transnistria.
The Cultural and Information Center (CIC) has been functioning as a part of the Embassy of Ukraine in the Republic of Moldova since April 2007. In March 2010 the “Ukrainian House” in Tyraspol began to work in the Embassy of Ukraine in the Republic of Moldova as well.
CIC activity is aimed at strengthening bilateral relations between Ukraine and Moldova, deepening cooperation in cultural, humanitarian and information sphere; distribution of information about Ukraine, its history and culture in Moldova; assistance in preservation, development and promotion of Ukrainian language and culture in Moldova; strengthening of relations with the Ukrainian community, assistance in satisfaction of its national and cultural needs.
Development of bilateral cooperation in cultural and artistic direction is carried out on the basis of contractual and legal principles of neighborliness on the basis of available financial possibilities of each of the parties and the level of partnership between separate subjects of cultural activity.
Important for development of the bilateral cooperation in the sphere of culture is the activity of public organizations of Ukrainians of Moldova, in cooperation with which the Embassy regularly holds cultural and artistic events (exhibitions of works of Moldavian artists, artists of Ukrainian origin, presentation of books, published in Ukrainian language, organization of literary and musical evenings). By the invitation of the Moldovan side, creative teams, musical groups and opera singers from Ukraine give concerts and performances, both commercially and on a competitive basis, at national and international cultural and artistic festivals and competitions held under the auspices of the Moldovan Government and the local authorities.
Ukrainian language is studied as a separate subject in a number of educational institutions in Moldova.
In the Transnistrian region of the RM Ukrainian language has the status of official language along with Moldovan (in Cyrillic alphabet) and Russian. There are 3 educational institutions teaching in Ukrainian language in the region, Ukrainian language as a subject is studied practically in all educational institutions of the region.
A Ukrainian Sunday school named after Reverend Paisiy Velychkovsky works in Chisinau at the Society of Ukrainian Culture in the Republic of Moldova.
Legal basis for bilateral cooperation in culture and education
– Agreement between the Government of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Moldova on cooperation in the field of education, science and culture (20.03.1993);
– Agreement between Ukraine and the Republic of Moldova on cooperation in ensuring the rights of persons belonging to national minorities. Signed in Chisinau on December 17, 2009. The Ukrainian side complied with domestic procedures, as informed the Moldovan side by the note № 72/23-612/1-3826 of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine dated 06.12.2010. The Moldovan side has not ratified this Agreement;
– Agreement between the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine and the Government of the Republic of Moldova on cooperation in the field of youth policy. Signed in Kyiv on 01.02.2010. Entered into force on 05.05.2011;
– Protocol between the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Moldova on cooperation in the field of education for 2016-2020 academic years. Signed in Chisinau on 18.11.2016, entered into force on 30.03.2017;
– Program of cooperation in the field of culture between the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education, Culture and Research of the Republic of Moldova for 2017-2021 signed on 19.10. 2017 in Kyiv, entered into force on January 18, 2018.
– A memorandum of cooperation between the Ukrainian State Film Agency and the National Film Center of the Republic of Moldova was signed on 19.09.2017 in Kyiv.
Based on the Protocol between the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine and the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Moldova on cooperation in the field of education for the period until 2020, since 2017, 34 places of budgetary places are annually allocated for studying citizens of Ukraine and Moldova, predominantly from the Ukrainian and Moldovan ethnic minorities.
Besides, in accordance with the Law of Ukraine “On Foreign Ukrainians” the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine allocates additional quotas. These places are allocated by the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine to candidates from Moldova, taking into account their chosen specialties and higher educational institutions in Ukraine. This opportunity may take advantage of those who have the status and certificate of a foreign Ukrainian and high marks in the documents of secondary education.
International Ukrainian school
In order to create conditions for Ukrainian citizens temporarily or permanently residing abroad to realize their right to full secondary education, in 2007 the Ministry of Education and Science established the general education institution “Ukrainian International School” (hereinafter – UIS) for the provision of educational services to these citizens on an individual curriculum.
- ensuring the implementation of the right of citizens to general secondary education;
- providing opportunities for citizens of Ukraine, who have expressed a desire to learn, to receive a quality primary, basic or complete general secondary education in accordance with their personal needs, individual abilities, health status, aptitudes, talents, using new information and communication technologies;
- providing consultations, methodological assistance and recommendations to teachers who teach students-citizens of Ukraine temporarily staying abroad
- coordinating the activities of educational institutions where Ukrainian language is taught or taught in Ukrainian language, and organizing their information and methodological, advisory and analytical support;
- organizing and conducting thematic, semester knowledge control, annual assessment and final attestation of IUS externs – students of educational institutions in the territories of their countries of temporary residence;
- providing methodological and informational assistance to educational institutions, where they study the language, traditions, customs and culture of Ukraine.
Study opportunities in Ukraine
The main information source of higher education in Ukraine for foreigners is the Ukrainian State Center of International Education of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. The Center is the only official state platform dedicated to informing about educational opportunities. On the official website of the Ukrainian State Center for International Education www.studyinukraine.gov.ua applicants can get general information about study programs, admission procedure and other practical tips. In addition, applicants can apply online for any higher education institution in Ukraine through the website www.studyinukraine.gov.ua.
Services offered by the Ukrainian State Center for International Education include: checking applicant’s documents, assistance in choosing a university and study program, assistance in submitting documents to the institution of higher education, obtaining an invitation to study, visa support, and meeting at the airport.